Venue is an important aspect for all types of sports across the globe, hence it is of at most importance to have the venue managed properly and keep the environment of the venue attractive for the spectators. By “Attractive” I am not just referring to the looks of the venue but also to how the space inside the Stadium is designed to make the spectators comfortable and help them enjoy the game even more
A lot of theory and facts go into the decision of designing a venue for any sport, for e.g., we should be able to read the taste of our spectators which will forever be changing according to the evolution of the sport and technology. We need to understand what makes a spectator happy to be at the venue, like:
- Friendly ambience: First and foremost, aspect that will stay in the spectator’s mind is the user-friendly atmosphere that shall be made available for them on the match day which makes them be at their best comfort and enjoy the match. Ambience will include the lighting, cleanliness, behavior of security staff, proper signages, etc.
- Access to Stadium: We should be able to guide the spectators to our stadium by keeping informed about the various options they have to commute to the venue (e.g., bus timings, walking routes, metro timings, etc.)
- Entry and Exit at the Stadium: We should be able to provide smooth entry and exit for the spectator, which will make the spectator feel at ease before and after the game. Entry to the Stadium does not usually happen in mass entry but exits usually will be in mass, hence it should be a priority for the venue to guide the spectators properly out of the stadium
- Food & Beverages: F&B is one of the important aspects that positions the venue in a spectator’s mind and make him/her excited to revisit the venue again. The options a spectator gets in F&B, easy access and the facilities that are entertained to him/her; like bringing his order to the seat, or providing facilities for the spectator to enjoy his food along with his friends and family before he enters the stadium is very important options to be considered while designing the F&B counters and features
- Security and Safety: A sense of safety helps the spectator enjoy the game even more as he need not worried about the security and safety of himself and his properties. Also, a safe and secure venue enables the spectator to revisit the venue for future matches
- Technology: In this age of information, technology and connectivity will play a pivotal role in connecting fans to the game, which will enable them to connect to event as deep as possible by knowing current updates on games happening at other stadium in the same league which gives them a upper hand in all match related information
Above mentioned are only a few points, working on which shall elevate the venue management team’s performance and improve the venue experience for the spectators.
Myself being a part of a Venue Management team know how much effort each of its members put into making the venue experience blissful for the spectators and I believe that more can be done to escalate the experience by bringing more innovation to the venue
AUTHOR: THEJUS PUSHPARAJ
Technical & Operations manager
Al Wahda Club Football Sports Company LLC